Thinking About Art

Yes, I live in my mind. Maybe that's why art is so important to me. I need to get out of my head every now and again (so I don't go batty) and visual art seems to do that for me. At least I am thinking about art right now and how to do it vs. whining about and longing for space, time and the right frame of mind. Blah, blah, blah. It's just so hard when I'm swimming around in a project (like writing a book or building a math program) - but I know that's probably the time when I need art the most. One of my favorite summer memories is of taking an intensive metals class all morning, every morning for two weeks. It was so organic. I took a nondescript piece of silver. I pounded it, melted it, soldered it, dumped it into an acid bath and then stuck it into a buffer machine. To me, it was like meditation, the absorption I felt while engaged in transforming that metal from nothing more than a discolored silver rod into a beautiful piece of silver jewelry. I'd like to learn how to throw clay pots and I love my fused glass. I stare at my small mountain of colorful and glorious fabrics whenever I am in the back room...stare at that pile as it sits quietly on the shelf. In my recent yoga mentor meeting with Julie, when we talked about these long times when I can't seem to create for the life of me, she suggested I consider the perspective that what we create doesn't really come from us any way (so, what are we channeling inspiration?). By removing my ego, she was wondering, would that free me up to create? I don't really know. But something in me is finally stirring and I feel it is the right time to stop with the whining and to start shaping and pounding metal into silver rings and bracelets of my own design; arranging and firing intensely colored pieces of glass into unique pendants and earings; cutting and sewing all that beautiful, madly colored linen fabric into one-of-a-kind summer pants, dresses and tops. And, it's about time to learn how to throw the damn pot! Ok, let's see what tomorrow brings :)

Comments