Yolanda Yeti




I have always wanted to create one-of-a-kind little stuffies the likes of which you'd find in the artsy periodical, Stuffed Magazine.  No clue where this interest comes from although I do remember my mother, mentally ill yet funny and intelligent (well, funny some of the time!), getting into dolls as she aged....oh boy, hope this isn't going to a weird place and I start having my husband build shelves to hold my doll collection.  I think in a box somewhere downstairs I still have a pair of 50 year old Raggedy Ann and Andys, handmade by my mom.

Unlike cute little Raggedy Ann and Andy, I love the quirky little characters with one eyeball bigger than the other or those with a head of weird and wild green hair.  Last Tuesday after school my 12-year old granddaughter and I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics.  We have been hanging out on Tuesdays after school to cook and sew.   I mentioned to her that I wanted to make these stuffed little objects d'art and told her she could also make one or she could pick up another project.  $10.  That was our budget.

Over the years I have done lots of art projects with my granddaughters.  Well, they aren't really my biological granddaughters, but they are granddaughters of my heart.  One of my granddaughters is my husband's son's daughter, 9 years old.  So I am her step-grandmother (she has about 52 other grand and great grand mothers teaching her all kinds of things).  And the other granddaughter-of-the-heart is my husband's son's daughter's s 1/2 sister, 12 years old.  So I am her ex-step-1/2-grandmother, I guess?  Love them both dearly.

In any event, the girls and I, together and individually, have enjoyed doing art for many years.

Front of ceramic fish the girls created for me on a visit to Firefly Pottery

Back of ceramic fish 
Little Ms. Yolanda Yeti was from a pattern.  I figured to make the first one I needed a plan.  Cute as she is the next one will likely look much more...odd.  Although looking at Ms. Yeti she clearly has her own pudgy, unique pink curly body type going on with one "arm" quiet a bit bigger than the other and a massive head!



Newly retired and finally adjusted to that, well mostly, I am once again having fun.  F.U.N.  No longer working hours on end and listening to people you'd really not even share air with.  No longer having a list of to do that just grows no matter how hard I try to mark each item off.  Nope, I am retired but definitely not tired and so after what, 6 years I am back to take notes on all the art projects I will be engaged in from now on!

Comments