FuSeD, fIrEd, ReAdY tO gO



I remember taking my first fused glass class a little over 2 years ago. I went to a class with some women friends from work. They were astonished (as was I!) at how quickly my generally-chatty self became silent and focused. I became absolutely mesmerized and completely absorbed with placing little pieces of beautifully colored glass on top of larger pieces of more beautiful opaque and/or clear glass. It was a meditative and peaceful and very personal experience for me. My world for that short 3-hour period was glass and color and only glass and color. My husband noticed how much I loved working with glass and suggested that we buy a small kiln so that I could make fused glass pendants on my own. Very busy with work and life at the time, I just smiled and moved onto the next project/task on my list. But, recently, I have felt a resurgence of creativity. As a sign of this, I think, I have started wearing my fused glass pendants more often. A number of my women friends have noticed my pendants dangling happily around my neck. When they ask, "How much?" I am taken aback and then have no response. Hmmm, I think...$20...is that a good price? Recently I just gave one away as birthday gift. Online I found some fused glass pendants sell for as much as $80...who knew? So, I am thinking once again of buying a kiln, some glass, glass cutters, a grinder and taking up the art of fusing glass.

Honestly, I am not thinking of making fused glass pendants to sell, necessarily, although I probably could. My husband, in his infinite wisdom, has always cautioned me that once I sell my art projects, the joy of making them may vanish. Carl Jung used to write that the joy of our art (he was referring to painting) was in the doing...nothing more. I think they both may be right. But, I also think that if I am not making a living of my art, and therefore, not forcing it, I might be able to sell/share my creations and not lose the joy of it all in the process :)

Comments