HoMeMaDe HeArTs

OK, I can now appreciate all those expensive decorated sugar cookies! I completely understand why they can cost up to $5, even $10 each. I have always wanted to use royal icing (the icing that turns very hard after it dries) to decorate sugar cookies. Gives me a chance to express myself, be original. I am going to the Children's Museum with my step-son, his wife, and the little girls later this morning. It is Valentine's Day and what decent Grandma can arrive empty-handed? Excellent opportunity, I thought, to make royal-iced heart-shaped cookies.

I quickly found out that these are HARD to make! Making the actual blank cookie is the easy part. Getting the right consistency of frosting, I found out last night, is the challenge. You have to have one consistency to build the dam. This is an outline of the cookie which holds in the frosting when you "flood" it. You have to put the frosting into a pastry bag with a special tip and then get the hang of almost pulling the frosting rope from way up high and laying it on the cookie. Strange but it works. Getting the frosting to the proper flooding consistency is very tricky, as well. Too runny and only a dam 3 inches high will hold back the flood that drips off the edges of your giant cookie. Too thick and you have to put sparkles all over the top to disguise lumpy frosting that refused to settle. Practice, I'm sure, makes perfect.

Comments